HAND HYGIENE FOR HEALTH PROFESSIONALS
COURSE DESCRIPTION: This online hand hygiene training course discusses the importance of hand hygiene in the prevention of healthcare-associated infections. Topics include the history of hand washing, standard precautions, hand hygiene procedures, anatomy and physiology of the skin, normal skin flora, glove use and issues related to hand hygiene.
The course material is presented in a practical manner and combines an interactive study experience using the convenience of the internet. The related internet resources are an essential part of this course. It is important that the student study the relevant and current associated internet links for additional knowledge to acquire the benefits of this online program.
OBJECTIVES: Upon completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Define terms associated with hand hygiene practices.
- Understand the anatomy and physiology of the skin.
- Compare and contrast transient bacteria and resident bacteria.
- Describe how bacteria are transmitted from one person to another.
- List reasons why healthcare workers are not washing their hands.
- Identify when hand washing with soap and water is required and when it is appropriate to use an alcohol-based hand rub.
- Describe recommended hand hygiene procedures, including soap and water, antiseptic hand rubs, and surgical hand hygiene/antisepsis.
- Describe CDCís recommendations on artificial nails and natural nail lengths.
- State when gloves should be worn and when gloves should be changed.
CE CONTACT HOURS: 2
COURSE FEE: $29.95 (Group rates are available upon request. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.)
WHO MAY TAKE THIS COURSE: Phlebotomist and other CLS laboratory personnel.
AVAILABILITY: Upon Demand
PRESENTATION METHOD: This downloadable course is in PDF format.
TEACHING METHOD: This is a self-paced course.
DURATION: All course requirements must be completed within 6 months of enrollment.
METHOD OF COURSE GRADING: Pass/fail grading system. Course examination is multiple choice and true/false statements. When a score of less than 70% is received, the examination may be taken one time without charge. Contact: email@example.com for further information regarding additional retakes of the examination.
METHOD OF COURSE EVALUATION: After successful completion of the course examination, a course evaluation must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.
CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION: Upon completion of the course content, examination with a passing grade of 70% and evaluation, student will receive a certificate of completion.
REQUIRED COURSE MATERIALS: All readings are incorporated in the course.
SUGGESTED COURSE MATERIALS: There are none.
OTHER RELATED COURSES: All available courses.
AUTHORíS BIOGRAPHICAL INFORMATION: Faye Battiste Otto, RN
Course Procedure from start to completion.
All courses and materials are based on United States laws and regulations unless otherwise noted. Laws vary from state to state.